Kershaw County Confederate Soldier's Narrative


N. A. McLeod From the Camden Confederate- May 15, 1863 Departed this life, January 18, 1863, of Typhoid Pneumonia, Corporal N. A. McLeod, of Company “D” 15th Regiment S.C.V. He was the oldest son of Alexander and Harriet McLeod of Kershaw District, S.C.

The deceased was born April 6, 1839. As a child, he was affectionate and obedient to his parents—morality and sobriety characterized him in youth----ever dutiful in attending to his father’s business.


Industry and perseverance was the constant habits of his life. He was sociable and kind to all with whom he had to do. He was a young man of promise, and one that would do for a parent to rock to and lean upon for assistance when old age comes on and strength declines. And to his brothers and sisters he was not only a comfort , but a guide in the various associations of life; his loss to the family must be severely felt , both by parents and children.


At the call of his country , he volunteered and helped form a company in Camden, commended by Capt. T. J. Warren, of Camden, S. C., and went into camp at Lightwod Knot Springs, at Columbia, S. C., in August, 1861. In a short time he was severely affected with cold on his lungs, and was brought home by his father and cared for, until he regained his health. He then joined his company on the coast, at or near Beaufort, S. C., where he discharged the duties of a soldier in the various camps along the coast, to and about the city of Charleston, until July 1862, when the regiment , with others, were ordered to Richmond, Va., and from thence to Maryland, and was in the great battle of Sharpsburg, on the 17th of September, 1862, where he received a slight wound to the side of his face. Then, he returned to Fredericksburg, Va., and participated in that bloody fight on the 14th of December, 1862, and passed through unhurt. But in a short time afterwards, he was attacked with pneumonia and sent to Richmond , and put in one of the hospitals in order to be cared for. But in a few weeks , he breathed his last. Thus passed away another of the brave sons of Carolina, and the Confederacy has lost a bold defender of the rights of the South.


For his Captain says: He was one of the best soldiers in the Confederate army, more accepted , a man of sterling worth, and of the strictest integrity. In action, he was cool and brave, as a soldier and officer, faithful in the discharge in every duty. Beloved and respected by his companions in arms, his loss will be severely felt and deeply lamented. Such men as Norman A . McLeod can hardly be spared at a time like the present,” and to the bereaved parents he offers his condolence.


His father hearing of his illness, went on to Richmond to see his son, but before he reached there he was dead and buried. But as soon as the opportunity offered, he had his remains brought home, and reached there on the 14th of April, 1863, and on the 16th was carried to Antioch Church, where his funeral was preached to a large and sympathizing congregation, by Rev. J. E. Rogers. He was then taken to family cemetery, and buried, where a suitable monument can be erected that will tell his worth, for tome to come.


He was born and raised near the place where he now lies—the place where he often heard the Gospel preached, and asked an interest in the prayers of the people of God. Though he never made a profession of religion, it is hoped that before he left this world he had committed his soul to the care of the Lord, and now that he is now at rest, where the rumors of war and sorrows of life will be felt and feared no more.